Relax with a warm cup of this dark chocolate elixir and nourish your body and spirit with each delicious sip! It reminds me a lot of the super-rich upscale hot chocolates, except this one is made with 100% raw, nutrient-dense ingredients that will super-charge your body with immune boosting antioxidants.
Carob powder is a great substitute for cacao, and makes this drink a wonderful before bed drink because carob contains no caffeine (unlike cacao). The nutrition and health benefits of eating carob are as follows:
- Carob tannins contain gallic acid which is an analgesic, anti-allergenic, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, anti-viral and anti-septic
- Improves digestion and lowers cholesterol levels in the blood
- Treats diarrhea in adults and children
- Benefits people with high blood pressure (since it contains 0 caffeine)
- Regular use can help prevent lung cancer
- Contains high vitamin E content, helping to treat bouts of coughing, the flu, anemia and osteoclasis
- Gallic acid in carob helps prevent and treat polio in children
- Rich in phosphorous and calcium which helps fight against osteoporosis
- Clears the voice and throat when carob pod husks are chewed on (great for singers)
This is definitely a healthy spin on a decadent classic. Enjoy it when the weather gets a little chilly (like in the evening or early morning), or whenever you get intense chocolate cravings!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (not too hot - only warmed - enough that you can stick your finger comfortably in the water)
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1 large medjool dates or 2 smaller medjool's (de-pitted) soaked in a little water to get them soft
- pinch ginger
- pinch vanilla
- pinch cinnamon
Take the above ingredients and put into any kind of blender (the mini blenders work great here - the ones you can use to make instant salad dressings) - blend for 10 seconds and enjoy!