These date balls are an explosion of flavour for your mouth! They are raw, vegan and 100% gluten free! The reason I chose to use carob powder over cacao is because cacao contains incredibly high levels of caffeine and stimulants are not my cup of tea (if you would rather use cacao powder in this recipe, you are more than welcome!)
These date balls make a wonderful snack (especially around the 4pm hunger curve). You can make them ahead of time, store them in the freezer, and pop them into your bag in the morning commute to work or wherever your life journey takes you that day! Having these balls an hour or a half hour before a workout will also boost your energy levels for a powered, successful workout.
These date balls are sweetened naturally (with the magic of dates!) and are full of nutritious goodies like goji berries, spirulina and hemp seeds, providing you with antioxidants, iron, and plenty of plant-based protein.
- 1 cup raw carob powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 6 - 7 large medjool dates, pitted (soak for 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp. spirulina
- 1/4 cup goji berries (soak for 30 minutes)
- 1/4 cup raw hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean
- Raw shredded coconut to roll
1. Drain water from medjool dates & goji berries
2. Put all ingredients (except raw coconut) into a food processor (or blender) and blend until it is the proper consistency to roll balls (if consistency is off, add a little bit more ripe banana for more moisture (or some water), and add some more carob powder if it is too wet).
3. Form the chocolate balls and roll them in shredded coconut
4. These will keep in the fridge for a couple weeks - you may also freeze them!