Homemade raw vegan coconut yogurt is a great addition (and replacement) for regular dairy yogurt. It will not create mucus or inflammation in your body (like dairy yogurt does) and it tastes about 500 times better than regular yogurt (who doesn't like the taste of coconut?!)! There are many additions you can make to the yogurt after it has finished culturing - you may add your favourite raw granola, some berries, pineapple, peaches, or perhaps some raw walnuts or almonds - pretty much anything that comes to mind!
- 1 cup coconut meat (from young thai coconut, or mature coconut - if it is from mature coconut then you should for sure have a vitamix blender to properly blend)
- 1/2 tbsp. coconut kefir
- 1/2 tsp. dairy free probiotics
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup young thai coconut water
1. Blend all of the above ingredients in a Vitamix blender (or other high speed blender like Blendtec), until smooth and creamy with no chunks.
2. Take this mixture and pour into a bowl (or jar) and cover with a cheesecloth or lid NOT tightly sealed, but simply lightly placed on top.
3. Let your coconut yogurt to culture on the tabletop at room temperature for 8-16 hours. The longer it sits, the more sour, and more like yogurt it will taste (this is SAFE).
4. The yogurt should last one week after this point, in the fridge! Enjoy!
If you want an amazing blender, I highly suggest you purchase a vitamix! It makes the smoothest, most creamiest smoothies, raw soups and sauces I have ever experienced! If you purchase a vitamix through Live Love Fruit, you will get FREE shipping and handling! Click HERE to purchase.
Additions (add to your yogurt after it has cultured):
- For SWEET yogurt, add:
-3-4 pitted medjool dates
- For Herbed yogurt, add:
- your favourite herbs! Dill, basil, mint, etc.
- For Fruity yogurt, add:
- Berries, peaches, nectarines, etc.