Low Fat Raw Vegan Mac & Cheese with Bonus Raw Ketchup Recipe!

Who loved Mac n’ Cheese as a kid? I know I did! The little round noodles with the creamy cheesy sauce. I haven’t eaten it in years due to the gluten, dairy, and over processed nature of the dish. But now I can indulge again, and you can too with this low fat, raw vegan Mac n' Cheeze recipe! Yay!

I was inspired to create a raw Mac n’ Cheeze recipe after seeing an ad for Kat Green’s eBook which featured Mac and Cheese, with noodles that I had never seen before. They looked like macaroni! I knew I could replicate the macaroni noodle style with my spiralizer and I already had the perfect cheese sauce in mind. I’ve made it a few times and even tested it out on my love Chris Kendall. He exclaimed, “This is the best thing I’ve ever ate!” That's quite the compliment coming from a very talented, well-known raw vegan chef!

Best of all, this recipe is raw, vegan (dairy-free), gluten-free, processed sugar-free, yeast-free, oil and salt-free, and you can make it overt fat free too! It won’t leave you feeling sluggish with a bellyache and packs a ton of nutrition in the fresh fruit and veggie ingredients. It's my new fav raw comfort food! So yummy on a cold winter day here in Saskatchewan, Canada. You’re going to love it! 



The NOODLES:
To make mac and cheeze noodles you need 2 fresh zucchini a spiralizer. I have a Paderno Vegetable Slicer from Amazon.ca that works great. It has three blades and I use the larger noodle blade for making macaroni noodles.

*You can also make spaghetti-like noodles using a julienne peeler, or, you can use a cheese grater to make small "macaroni" shaped noodles similar to the way orzo pasta looks when cooked. 



Directions:
1. Peel the green skin off the zucchini noodles and cut them in half.
2. Use the spiralizer to make the large noodles (or your julienne peeler)
3. Cut them into smaller pieces so they look like macaroni noodles.
4. Set noodles aside while you make your sauce.
** You can also score the edges lengthwise before running it through the spiralizer to make your noodles, but be careful not to cut too far into the center.
***I save the ends and center zucchini bits and throw them in the sauce!

The CHEEZE:
I make the cheese sauce right before I want to eat. You can prep all the ingredients and have them ready to blend if you have a Vitamix - I blend it until it’s hot!



Ingredients:
- 2 cups of fresh organic corn
- ½ of a fresh red pepper
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 3 green onion stems
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 sticks celery
- 1 tsp chili powder
- the ends and zucchini center bits leftover from spiralizing
Optional: 2 tbsp raw hemp seeds!
***When fresh organic corn is not available I use frozen organic corn. Organic frozen corn is blanched before freezing. 

Directions:
1. Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy, and HOT!
2. Pour generously over your noodles and stir in. 
3. I added broccoli florets too! Mmmm Broccoli and Chedda' with KETCHUP! (You can soak your broccoli in hot water for an hour beforehand to soften it up a bit)
4. Sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper if you dare. ;) 



Bonus Recipe: RAW KETCHUP
If you're like me and always had ketchup on everything as a child, including your Mac and Cheese, then you’ll want some ketchup to go with this recipe. I think it adds so much to the dish. But I don’t mix it in; I serve it on the side and use it like a dip! The best part is that it’s fresh, oil free and salt free!


Ketchup
Ingredients:
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ c sun dried tomatoes (soaked)
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 stem green onion (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 3-4 pieces of dried mango

 Directions:
1. Juice ½ lemon and chop the tomatoes. Place in blender.
2. Place remaining ingredients in your blender.
3. Blend on high speed until smooth.

Lots of Love and Fresh Squeezed Hugs!
xo
Ashley Clark
Holistic Health Coach
Naturally Ashley Nutrition


Ashley Clark is a Health Coach, Artist, Photographer and the owner/operator of Naturally Ashley Nutrition. “I am bananas about holistic health and nutrition!" I want to help you create a happy, healthy lifestyle in way that is flexible, fun and lasting. It's not about cutting out the ‘bad’ foods; it's about adding in the good – more FRUITS and VEGETABLES! Healthy living isn’t just about the food you eat  – Primary ‘Food’ is important too, like finding a career you love, relationships, and connecting to your spirituality. Love your Life, Love your Food, Love YOU!
Connect with Ashley:


Follow me for lots of recipes, tips and inspiration!
@missnaturallyashley -Instagram 
@bananaavenue - Twitter 
Naturally Ashley Nutrition - Facebook




2 comments:

  1. Hi! Mine didn't turn out quite as yellow. Any ideas? I'm trying to convince the kiddles it's like Mac and Cheese! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps try a little less red pepper and a little more corn? There is a perfect balance between the tomatoes, red pepper and corn which makes it a nice orangey yellow colour!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 

Meet The Author

Carly is a blogger, raw vegan, and nutrition enthusiast! She emphasizes healthy eating through a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Carly has taken her life-long passion of helping others and combined it with her passion for eating whole, raw foods, as a means to teach people to become more aware of the foods they eat. She has inspired and motivated thousands of individuals to critically think about what they put in their movies and to move towards a mind-set that helps them increase their consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables. She enjoys reading, and learning about the body, food processing mechanisms and has a keen interest in detox and life regeneration. "Eat fruit, and be happy and energized. Eat greens and other mineral dense vegetables and feel calm and steady. A recipe for good health!"

Twitter Updates