One of my favourite ways to cool off during summer is eating frozen fruit! Cool off with these homemade frozen fruit pops without the unnecessary additives that most popsicles are made with today. They will super-charge your body with plenty of vitamin C, and the antioxidants will help protect you from the UV rays from the sun.
When eaten RIPE (the fruit feels slightly squishy instead of firm), kiwis do not give you "itchy mouth," which most people complain about with the kiwi fruit. Let your kiwis ripen fully before committing to eating them or turning them into frozen desserts.
Here are some of the many benefits that kiwi help provide your body with:
- Depression: inositol found in kiwi can be beneficial in the treatment of depression.
- Diabetes: the natural sugar, inositol, found in kiwi, may play a positive role in regulating diabetes. Inositol can even help improve nerve conduction velocity in patients with diabetic neuropathy.
- Eye Health/Macular Degeneration: Carotenoids (beta carotenes, luteins, and xanthophylls), antioxidants and phenolic compounds (flavonoids & anthocyanins) found in kiwi help protect and strengthen our eyes.
- Cardiovascular health: kiwis are high in two amino acids: glutamate and arginine. These amino acids help promote an increase in arteriolar dilation, working as a vasodilator and improving blood flow important for heart health.
- Immunity: Kiwi is incredibly rich in vitamin C, an important component of maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Cholesterol: fruit rich in pectin, such as kiwi, help regulate and lower cholesterol levels.
- 10 ripe organic kiwis, peeled
- 1/3 cup coconut water
- 1 lime, juiced
Blend 8 kiwis with the lime juice and coconut water and set aside (blend long enough for the green to combine, but not so long that the black seeds start to break apart). Cut the other two kiwis into cross sections and place one in each popsicle mould. Fill the moulds with the kiwi paste and put popsicle sticks in the centre. Let freeze overnight! Enjoy :)